Teaching mothers and birth companions techniques for safe and satisfying birthing through guided imagery, visualization, and special breathing using the HypnoBirthing® process.
The HypnoBirthing® Childbirth method is as much a philosophy of birth as it is a technique for achieving a satisfying, relaxing, and stress-free method of birthing. HypnoBirthing® teaches you, along with your birthing companion, the art and joy of experiencing birth in a more comfortable manner. You will learn to call upon your body’s own natural relaxant and thus lessen or eliminate discomfort and the need for medication. When a woman is properly prepared for childbirth and when mind and body are in harmony, nature is free to function in the same will-designed manner that it does with all other creatures.
You will be fascinated as you view HypnoBirthing® films showing laboring mothers, awake, alert and in good humor as they experience the kind of gentle birth that you, too, can know when you are free of the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome.
HypnoBirthing® teaches you to release all prior programming about birth, how to trust your body and work with it, as well as how to free yourself of harmful emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and unyielding muscles.
HypnoBirthing® will teach you the art of using your own natural birthing instincts. With HypnoBirthing®, you will be aware and fully in control, but profoundly relaxed.
How the mind and emotions affect the body • Why labor hurts and why it doesn’t have to • Releasing fear, the enemy of labor • Preparing your mind and body for birthing • Avoiding artificial induction and episiotomy • Developing ultimate-depth relaxation • Understanding the stages of labor • Preparing your Birth Plan •Tapping Nature’s own relaxant • Breathing your baby down for birth
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Everything you need to know to achieve safer, easier and more comfortable birth
- To explode the myth that pain is a necessary accompaniment to labor
- What’s wrong with labor as it exists with most other childbirth methods
- Techniques of deep relaxation to help you eliminate the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome
- How your body is naturally designed to conceive, nurture and birth your baby with ease and comfort
- To create your body’s own natural relaxant, the only safe labor enhancement
- Natural ways to bring your body into labor without artificial chemical induction
- How you and your birthing companion can create a birthing environment that is calm, serene and joyful, rather than tense and stressful
- Gentle birthing techniques that allow you to breathe your baby into the world without the violence of hard physical pushing
- To use your natural birthing instincts to birth your baby in a way that most mirrors the way that nature intended
“My dream is that every woman, everywhere, will know the joy of a safe, satisfying birth for both her baby and herself—one she’ll not need to forget.” – Marie F. Mongan, 1999, Founder of HypnoBirthing.
HypnoBirthing® Classes meet for 2.5 hours once a week for 5 consecutive weeks. Weekday evening or Saturday morning classes are available.
What is a birth doula?
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
– DONA International
The role of a birth doula is to support the mother and her partner so that they have the best possible birth experience. Once contracted, the Doula and expectant mother and partner meet 2-3 times prior to the birth to go over preferences, coping techniques and to provide any kind of necessary resources. I arrive to the labor and stay with the couple until 1-2 hours after the birth. We follow up with one postnatal visit to complete the package.
What are the benefits of hiring a birth doula?
- Shorter length of labor
- Less use or request for pain medications
- Less inductions and augmentations of labor
- Fewer assisted deliveries
- Lower Cesarean rate
- Increase in successful VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
- Doula support has been linked to better parenting and higher satisfaction with outcome of the birth in general
- Empowerment of the couple about making choices for their well-being
- Higher satisfaction of their personal accomplishments during labor
What are the services that a Doula offers?
- A Doula does not interfere with, or replace the support person, but instead works with him/her to create a strong and supportive team.
- A Doula gives constant support. This allows the support person to take a break, get something to eat, make calls, etc., without worrying about mom being left alone.
- A Doula helps with relaxation, massage, acupressure, and emotional support. Educational support is also a major factor in keeping the laboring couples calm and informed.
- If the support person forgets the technique, the Doula refreshes the support person’s memory to enable him/her to be effective for mom.
- The Doula can be contracted to help moms who may not have a support person available.
- The Doula helps in significant ways by protecting your experience and advocating for your birth plan.
- The Doula informs you of options and information concerning your choice of pain relief or change of plan if needed.
How does a doula service work?
Mom/couple set up a meeting with the Doula to become acquainted and discuss your priorities and desires. We will review any childbirth education and design a personal birth plan.
Once contracted, the Doula will be on call as you’re due date approaches. Constant phone support is available. There will always be a backup Doula on call as well. Because we are a team of Doulas, we can guarantee that you will not be alone.
Once mom is in labor, we are by your side until after the baby’s birth. We stay 1-2 hours after the birth or until mom is comfortable with our leaving. A follow up visit, as well as phone support when needed, completes the service.
We recommend that you interview a few of the doulas. You want to find the right doula for you, and our doulas are very diverse in their backgrounds, life experiences and personalities. We also have postpartum doulas to help with anything and everything baby related from breastfeeding to helping out around the house in those precious first few days and weeks with baby at home.
Please contact us if you would like to set up a “meet and greet” with our team of Doulas. We would love to be a part of your birthing experience.
Additional Resources for information about Birth Doulas
• DONA International
• Acupressure for Natural Pain Relief in Labor DVD